Leigh Sports Village has been Wigan County’s largest investment in public sports, recreational and educational facilities for many years and has made Leigh one of the best hubs for activities in the Northwest. In addition to the general public, the use of grass and art fields, a sports hall, a gym and a swimming pool, the site has several long-term tenants, mostly due to it being an £83 million multi-purpose residential, retail and sports development in Leigh, Greater Manchester City, England.
At the heart of the development is a 12,000-seat stadium, home to the professional rugby league team Leigh Centurions, Manchester United U19 and U23 teams, and Manchester United W.F.C. The complex is also home to the Leigh East Amateur Rugby League Club and the Leigh Harriers Amateur Athletics Club, both of which occupy dedicated facilities on the premises.
Other on-site facilities include the Wigan Leigh and Leigh College campus, the Leigh Sports Center, which includes a fitness centre, multipurpose gym and swimming pool, the Holiday Inn Express hotel, Morrisons Grocery Store, and the Whistling Wren Pub. Manchester United W.F.C. will play all their home games there from the 2018/19 season, while renovation work is underway at The Cliff.
- 1 How to Get to the Leigh Sport Village
- 2 Where to Park
- 3 Away Friendly Pubs Near the Leigh Sport Village
- 4 Hotels Near the Leigh Sports Village
- 5 What Have Other Away Fans Said About Their Trip to the Leigh Sport Village?
- 6 Leigh Sports Village Directions
- 7 Manchester United Women’s Team Twitter
- 8 Leigh Sports Village FAQ's
- 9 Stadium Key Facts
- 10 Other Women’s Super League League Grounds
How to Get to the Leigh Sport Village
Supporters can reach the venue fairly quickly using the following routes:
- 3 minutes from the A580
- 8 minutes from M6 Jn 23 (Haydock Park)
- 14 minutes from M60 Jn 14
Alternatively, you can input the complete address on your sat nav and just follow the directions from there.
The stadium is a 10-minute walk from Leigh City Center Bus Station, which offers regular services to Manchester, Bolton, Wigan, Warrington and St Helens. Alternatively, on weekdays, bus route 597 runs directly from the bus station to the stadium.
Local and visiting fans can also opt to take the train there. The closest train stations are Atherton (4.2 miles), NewtonleWillows (5.3 miles) and Wigan North Western on the West Coast Main Line (7.9 miles).
Where to Park
There are parking slots on the grounds that has enough space to fit employees and fans alike during games or events. But, if you’re one of the unlucky few that doesn’t get to secure a spot on the grounds, you can head to the paid parking garage called the Pennington Flash Car Park located nearby, also along Atherleigh Way. Or, if you don’t mind the walk, there’s a free parking garage at Car Park 1. Although, this is a little further, by the corner of St. Helen’s Rd. and Atherleigh Way.
Away Friendly Pubs Near the Leigh Sport Village
There are some good pub options near the stadium such as the ones listed below, however, you might have to go a little farther to find any other pubs as there are more coffee shops and restaurant options within the nearby vicinity:
- Weavers Whistle
- Bar Quaye
- Fat Boys
Hotels Near the Leigh Sports Village
Check Booking.com, Agoda, or other third-party booking sites if you wish to book accommodations for you or the rest of your party, however, there are these choice options that you can look into whenever a football match or rugby game is taking place in the arena:
- Holiday Inn Express – Leigh Sports Village
- The Greyhound Hotel Leigh
- Travelodge Warrington Lowton
- Hotel Ibis Styles Haydock
What Have Other Away Fans Said About Their Trip to the Leigh Sport Village?
No matter what game is played in the arena, most spectators or guests who visit do mention how the arena’s a great facility to watch the games in. That’s because the buildings boast nice, modern, top of the line facilities, a good selection of gameday snacks and drinks, and they accommodate people of all kinds. So, even children, the elderly, or people with disabilities are welcomed here.
But, for most major games, since the team supported by away fans isn’t the host of the event, away fans will usually be assigned the South Grandstand areas, which has some seats located unfortunately behind some posts. This, however, is easy to overlook since the venue is really accommodating, easy to get to, and provides ample space for local and away fans alike to stay in.
There’s also a Holiday Inn close by which is greatly convenient for those who need or choose to stay in the area. Match tickets are easy to come by as well since there are a lot of avenues that can help you secure one, even if it is sought after season tickets.
Leigh Sports Village Directions
Manchester United Women’s Team Twitter
Leigh Sports Village FAQ's
Which is the away end at Leigh Sports Village?
When visiting Leigh Sports Village, away fans will be located in the South Stand.
What is the Leigh Sports Village capacity?
A maximum of 12,000 fans can be accommodated at Leigh Sports Village.
Stadium Key Facts
- Capacity – 12,000
- Address – Leigh Sports Stadium, Sale Wy, Leigh WN7 4JY, United Kingdom
- Telephone – +44 1942 487830
- Ticketing – +44 1942 487888
- Email – [email protected]
- Pitch Size – 105m x 68m
- Pitch Type – Deso GrassMaster
- Year Ground Opened – 2008
- Record Attendance – 12,005 Widnes Vikings vs Castleford Tigers
- Official Website – http://www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/leighsportsvillage/
- Construction Cost – £17.5 million
- Owner – Leigh Sports Village Company Ltd; Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council
- Coordinates – 53.491°N 2.529°W
Other Women’s Super League League Grounds
- Arsenal Women's - Meadow Park Stadium
- Aston Villa Women - The Bescot
- Birmingham City Women - Damson Parkway
- Brighton and Hove Albion Ladies - The Broadfield Stadium
- Chelsea Ladies - Kingmeadow (Cherry Red Records Stadium)
- Everton Women - Walton Hall Park
- Leicester City Women - Farley Way
- Manchester City Women - Manchester City Academy Stadium
- Manchester United Women - Leigh Sports Village
- Reading Women - the Madejski Stadium
- Tottenham Hotspur Women - The Hive Stadium
- West Ham United Women - Victoria Road (Chigwell Construction Stadium)
- Women's Super League Grounds